Everyone who knows about the Scrum framework is aware of how it has benefited the software development industry. Understanding this framework is crucial for both individuals and groups due to Scrum's global success and popularity. A career path as Scrum Master will open doors to many opportunities in renowned organizations across industries. It is a surefire route to lucrative pay and great professional advancement.
In this article, we will focus on the Scrum Master Salary in India and the US and the factors that influence it.
Who is a Scrum Master?A Scrum Master is a qualified professional who guides a team through a project while practicing Agile project management techniques. A Scrum Master encourages all team members and facilitates leadership engagement and communication to accomplish a successful output.
Scrum masters serve as coaches for the team members and guide them through the values, principles, and processes of the Scrum framework. They uphold the scrum philosophy and its core principles while remaining transparent, adaptable, and receptive to new ideas with a focus on the effective delivery of business value.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Scrum MasterThe Scrum Master plays a number of varied roles while assisting different positions such as Scrum Team, Product Manager, and the Organization as a whole. Let us look at these roles separately. The Scrum Master assists the Scrum Team in a number of ways, such as:
- Coaching team members in self-management and cross-functionality
- Removing obstacles hindering the team’s progress
- Ensuring that all Scrum events occur and are successful, beneficial, and completed within the allotted time
- Assisting the Scrum Team in understanding the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items
- Helping in establishing the empirical product planning for a complex environment
- Facilitating stakeholder collaboration as requested or necessary
- Leading, educating, and coaching the company in adopting Scrum
- Planning and providing advice on Scrum implementations within the company
- Removing barriers between stakeholders and scrum teams
How to Become a Scrum Master?As businesses begin to understand the true value of Agile and how much they may gain from it, the adoption of the Agile methodology has dramatically increased in recent years. As a result, one of the key Scrum roles that aid an organization's adoption and transformation to Agile is the Scrum Master.
Hence, there is an exponential rise in the need for certified Scrum Masters globally. Certifications attest to your abilities and may increase your job eligibility. To demonstrate your knowledge of Scrum concepts, you can complete training, pass an exam, and receive your certificate. By attending seminars and taking the corresponding exam, you can become a Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Professional Scrum Master (PSM), SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) Scrum Master (SSM), or SAFe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM). These courses can further be discussed as:
1. Certified Scrum Master (CSM)In Certified Scrum Master (CSM), you learn the Scrum framework and gain an understanding of team accountabilities, events, and artifacts, as well as how to guide your team to apply Scrum.
2. Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I)Students can learn how to apply Scrum to maximize value, productivity, and total cost of ownership of software products in the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I). Students are given the tools they need to relate to behavioral transformations, collaborate with others, coach & assist others, and confront the organization.
3. Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II)The Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II) is a two-day Advanced Scrum Master course designed to assist seasoned Scrum Masters. One can take this training after completing PSM l to have in-depth knowledge of dealing with the real-world situations Scrum Masters face in their everyday life. This course combines classroom instruction with assisted exercises to examine the difficulties Scrum Masters encounter and how Scrum's guiding principles and values aid in their resolution.
4. SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) Scrum Master (SSM)The SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) helps educate the team in Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), Kanban, and SAFe, ensuring that the agreed Agile process is followed. They also help remove impediments and foster an environment for high-performing team dynamics, continuous flow, and relentless improvement.
5. SAFe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM)Learn how to support the success of Agile teams, Agile Release Trains (ARTs), and the company in the SAFe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM) course. Additionally, you can obtain the advice and resources required to collaborate well with distributed teams in distant settings. Once you enroll in the Scrum Master training programs and successfully upgrade your knowledge by attending our class, you can appear for the certification exam and become a certified Scrum Master.
Scrum Master Salary in Different CountriesSeveral variables affect the qualified Scrum professional compensation across various countries, including knowledge, experience, certifications, work location, employer, and more. The salary of an experienced Scrum Master is much higher as compared to an entry-level certified Scrum Master salary. We have listed the annual average certified Scrum Master salary, concentrating on the more well-known markets:
- United States: $99,492 per annum
- Singapore: SGD 81,000 per annum
- Australia: A$120K per annum
- United Kingdom: £54,172 per annum
- Canada: CA$90K per annum
- New Zealand: NZ$114K per annum
- South Africa: ZAR 41K per monthly
- China: ¥ 16K per monthly
- India: ?1,304K per annum
How Agilemania Can Help You Achieve Your Goals?At Agilemania, we are a team of passionate professionals with a passion for transforming businesses with digital and Agile — Scaling and sustaining customer-centric innovation. We are the largest Agile and Scrum community with a common goal to share and learn about Agile and related practices.
Conclusion‘Scrum Master’ is a term for someone who knows the Scrum framework and can apply Scrum principles and values in complex organizational situations. We have discussed the roles a Scrum Master has to perform and the average Certified Scrum Master salary in India and the US. An entry-level scrum master with little or no experience can earn a Scrum Master Consultant a salary of ?727,000 per year, while the experienced Scrum Master's salary can easily go up to ?2,000,000 per year. Suppose you’re inherently a curious person with an inclination towards conflict resolution.
In that case, this is just the perfect job for you, and with just a little bit of guidance and support, you’ll be on your way to working as a Scrum Master in an organization of your choice. With the rising demand for Scrum Masters across the globe, the certified Scrum Master salary is also getting better and attracting more enthusiasts to try out this challenging career.