The first theme among the six primary themes of SAFe® 6.0 is- Strengthening the foundation for Business Agility.
Everything moves fast in the digital age. Customer desires, competitive threats, technology choices, business expectations, revenue opportunities, and workforce demands now happen at blistering speeds.
Copyrights: © Scaled Agile, Inc.
To address these challenges, Business Agility must compete and thrive in the digital age by quickly responding to market changes and emerging opportunities with innovative, digitally-enabled business solutions. The fundamental aspects of business agility, including the Business Agility Value Stream (Figure 3) and SAFe® 6.0 Foundation (Figure 4), are substantially updated to improve support for working differently and building the future. Updates to the SAFe® 6.0 Implementation Roadmap and revised responsibilities for SPCs clarify the path for navigating the change. Details include:
1. Business Agility Value Stream (BAVS) – The newly introduced BAVS has been added to the top of the Big Picture, leading the way for competing and thriving in the digital age. It helps organizations quickly respond to market changes and emerging opportunities with innovative, digitally-enabled business solutions.
2. SAFe® 6.0 Foundation — All articles illustrated by the icons in Figure 4 were enhanced to further strengthen their support for business agility, along with the following design changes:
The House of Lean has been retired since all its tenets have been embodied and amplified throughout the Framework. For example,
- Respect for people is now a SAFe® 6.0 Core Value since it’s a basic human need. Treating people respectfully unlocks their intrinsic motivation to learn and grow, evolve their practices, and contribute to their business and customer outcomes.
- Flow is covered in the new SAFe® 6.0 Principle #6 – Make value flow without interruptions and anchors Value Stream Management (VSM).
- Innovation is part of the Continuous Learning Culture competency, which has been added to the SAFe® 6.0 foundation and will be expanded in future releases.
- Relentless improvement became a SAFe® 6.0 core value since the relentless pursuit of perfection has always been one of the core tenets of Lean. While unattainable, striving for perfection leads to continuous improvements of products, services, and processes.
- Core values – SAFe®’s four core values (Figure 6) were changed to alignment, transparency, respect for people, and relentless improvement resulting from the previously described changes. Moreover, they were replaced to avoid redundancy with other concepts. For example, Built-in Quality is enhanced as a dimension of the Team and Technical Agility core competency, and an article with the same name.